Here we are on the other side! 2016 was a bit of a crazy year, I think we pretty much experienced every range of emotion one could experience in a year! From the grief of losing a loved one to the utter and complete joy of gaining a new family member. Pretty sure that new family member was the highlight of the year though. 😉 2016 was the year our family grew by another – amazing – little human and I wouldn’t change it for the world.
So now we look forward. Another year ahead, another set of daily opportunities. It’s pretty awesome standing at the start of something. There’s hope. Expectation. Excitement. Dreams. Goals.
I don’t do resolutions. I saw a funny cartoon on facebook the other day that said “What exactly is a “New Years Resolution?” answer: “It’s a ‘to do’ list for the first week of January” ha! It’s basically just so hard to keep resolutions. I find it easier to set goals – and not just in January either! There are several times in the year I re-evaluate and revamp my goals. They’re ongoing, changing, evolving. Less of a check-list, and more of a check-in list. Checking in on my life and where I want to be
Here are a few goals I have looking ahead at 2017:
- More family adventures. I saw on instagram another mama makes a point of doing weekly family adventures. At this stage of our family life I’m not sure weekly is realistic, but regular, consistent family adventures all together!
- More one-on-one time. I want to take my bigger littles on little dates on their own. They spend so much time together with us I want to make sure I’m taking time to really love on my kids individually.
- Date my husband!!! We haven’t gone out in ages. I’m still breastfeeding Silas so it’s been tricky to get away but we really need to be more intentional.
- Figure out my business plan for my photography biz. Decide on the direction I’ll go with that, how I’m going to implement my dreams and goals for it!
- Pay off some more debt and start saving for DISNEYLAND. (Hubby and I have never been and I want to take my kids SO BADLY)
- WRITE MORE. Ignore the doubts and fears in my mind that tell me no one will care what I have to say and just write. Write for myself and if others join me here, bonus.
- Stop comparing. Instagram and social media shows only the very best of peoples’ lives. The prettiest pictures don’t always paint the truth of what’s behind the scenes. And I know this.
- Spend more time disconnected. Read a real book. Listen to the quiet. Pray more.
I’m sure there are more, but that’s a few. What are yours? Or – if you are totally killing it in one of those areas above, what are your tips and tricks to making some of those happen? Drop your suggestions in the comments!
I played around with some video on our New Year’s Eve here at home. We love keeping it low key with our friends and honestly I was so glad we offered to host as we got about a foot of fresh snow that night! Thought I would share it here to wish you all a very happy and blessed 2017!
New Years from Amanda Gregor on Vimeo.